Friday, September 4, 2009

the Cake [ok, and wedding!]


Part of our Utah trip was spent getting ready for Jay's little sister's wedding [it was August 6th-and a gorgeous day, I might add!!]. Jodi, the bride, asked Cyndi to make her cake. Did you know my sister makes cake's on top of all the other crazy things she does? Since I had now taken my first Wilton class, I got to be #2 in helping with the cakes--as if that makes me anywhere near qualified to make a wedding cake! It was fun, and stressful, but mostly fun! :D

How many ingredients do you think it takes to make a 4 layered cake? [we were tying to be Bakerella with our photo! :D lol]

Cyndi did the baking, I did the frosting. Riggy and Caden helped clean off the beaters!

[after 5 double batches of butter cream was made! we ended up making 2 more, too!]


mmmm

After many LONG hours of putting the cakes together we carefully placed them in the back of the van and drove to Logan. Jay got a sweet deal on a hotel--Caden was very comfy in the big bed!

Outside the temple--I didn't even get a good picture of the temple..grr

Yeae the cake!! What I didn't take a picture of was the drama of cake layer #2. The day before Cyndi had literally spent hours, probably 3, trying to get the frosting smooth--but it wouldn't work. She finally gave up, scraped all the frosting off, and pushed it to me to frost. (Oh this is Cyndi inserting this- It was between stabbing the cake to get my frustration out or wiping all the frosting off- Still Chira freaked-- and looked at me like I was CRAZY, which I totally was and said "What are you doing?") So, we started over with the frosting of the chocolate cake. When it was finally done, we put them in the boxes and then in the car. [ps...they were in the fridge all night, just in case you were wondering!] The next day we went to the church to set up the cake. We got the first 2 layers stacked and then opened the box of the chocolate cake and it was a MESS! All the frosting had completely drizzled off the cake, it was a nightmare! I wish we had taken a picture of it, but we were too stressed out! Thankfully Jays other sister, Nicole was there to keep us laughing, she rocks! We got the frosting re-put on the cake and hurried and finished. The chocolate cake was so the cake from h-e-double-hockey-sticks. Cyndi almost stabbed it. We totally asked the photographer to take pics of the cake first, because that chocolate layer just wasn't holding up--she was awesome too! When we finally cut in to the cake, we did the chocolate one first--and it went SO fast!! Guests kept asking for more of the chocolate cake! So, I guess it rectified itself by tasting good, even though it didn't want to hold up! :D

Glad to be done setting up!


Maddi [Jay's other little sister] and Cambyrn at the guest book table

Brayden keeping himself busy with his DS at the reception! Can you see the boy's cute ties? Yea, we totally made those--thanks to my mom's mad sewing skills! They were so cute!

The whole night Caden kept disappearing. Larry, Jay's dad, found Caden here--in the kitchen, can you tell what he's doing?...


licking the frosting off the trays!! Silly boy!!

Thanks for letting me help, Cyndi! It was fun to see the behind the scenes of making a
fan-ta-bulous
wedding cake!

Thanks Kiki- for keeping me sane- I totally couldn't have done it without. Love you to pieces!

ps when i get some pics from the wedding I'll post them.



&

2 comments:

Anniebanannie said...

I am officially in awe. That cake rocks!

Stake Camp Directors said...

UMMMMMMM, how wonderful are you and I am loving the ghostwriter post from the sis!